October 20, 2021, 12:40 am
Sylhet Representative /
The court has accepted the charge sheet of the murder case of Raihan, a victim of torture at the Bandarbazar police outpost in Sylhet.
Judge Abul Momen of Sylhet’s Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s Court on Thursday (September 30th) accepted the chargesheet and issued an arrest warrant against fugitive journalist Abdullah Al Noman.
Sylhet Metropolitan Police Court Inspector Pradeep Chandra Das confirmed the information.
He said all the accused, including the expelled SI Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan, were produced in court while accepting the chargesheet.
Earlier on May 5, the Bureau of Investigation (PBI) had filed charges against six people in the case.
The main accused are Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan, then SI of Bandarbazar outpost, Hasan Uddin, ASI Ashek Elahi, Constable Titu Chandra Das, Harunur Rashid and Abdullah Al Noman, the alleged journalist who lost CCTV footage of the incident.
Five of them are in jail, but Noman is still at large.
According to the indictment, SI Mohammad directly participated in the murder of the accused. Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan, Constable Harun Aur Rashid, Constable Titu Chandra Das and ASI Ashek Elahi.
Accused SI said the allegations of concealment. The chargesheet against Hasan Uddin and local journalist Abdullah Al Noman under Section 201 of the Penal Code was initially proved.
Raihan Ahmed, a resident of Akhalia area of Sylhet city, was brought to Bandarbazar police outpost in the morning of October 11 last year and tortured by police personnel including SI Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan in-charge of the outpost. He later died at Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital.
Raihan’s death in police custody sparked protests across the country. Various programs were launched to demand the arrest of the accused policemen.
On October 12, the day after Raihan’s murder, his wife Tahmina Akter Tanni filed a murder case with the Kotwali police station.