September 28, 2021, 8:19 am
Sylhet Bureau: The Bureau of Investigation (PBI) has filed a chargesheet against six people, including five policemen, in connection with Raihan’s murder at the Bandarbazar police outpost in Sylhet. Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan, the dismissed Sub-Inspector (SI) in-charge of the Bandarbazar police outpost, has been named as the main accused in the chargesheet. The other accused are dismissed Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) of Bandarbazar police outpost Ashek Elahi, Hasan Uddin, police constable Harunur Rashid, Titu Chandra Das and alleged journalist Abdullah Al Noman. Noman has been accused of collaborating with SI Akbar to escape and destroying signs of torture for Raihan.
The PBI filed the chargesheet in the murder case in Sylhet with the police prosecution branch at 11am on Wednesday (May 5). The prosecution branch will present it in the virtual court. Police Superintendent of Police Khaled Uz Zaman of the Bureau of Investigation (PBI) Sylhet confirmed the matter. He said that out of the 6 accused, 5 policemen are in jail and Noman is absconding. Another police constable named Touhid Mia was arrested in the incident but was not charged in the chargesheet as no involvement was found, the SP said.
Raihan, a resident of Akhalia Niharipara in the city, was picked up by police at the Bandarbazar outpost in Sylhet on the night of October 10. SI Akbar Hossain and his assistants in charge of the outpost took him to the outpost from Woodghar Sweeper Colony. The torture lasted for several hours. Last night, Raihan called his uncle from a policeman’s mobile phone. At that time, in a tearful voice, he quickly requested his uncle to come to the outpost with Rs 10,000. Uncle came to the outpost with money just before the morning Fajr prayers. But then he was not allowed to meet Raihan. Later on the morning of October 11, when the uncle went to the outpost again, the police informed that Raihan had been sent to Osmani Hospital due to illness. Later, the family went to the morgue of the hospital and found Raihan’s body.
On the night of October 11, Raihan’s wife Tahmina Akhter filed a case with the Kotwali Police Station under the Death in Prevention Act. Intense agitation started across Sylhet demanding justice for Raihan’s murder. Finally, after about seven months, the chargesheet in this sensational murder case was filed.