May 16, 2022, 5:40 am
International Desk /
At least 43 people have been killed in gunfire in Nigeria. The bomber struck shortly after noon in the northern state of Sokoto. The state governor’s office said in a statement on Monday, according to Reuters.
In a statement, Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal said the attackers stormed a weekly market in the Goronio area of the state on Sunday morning and continued until Monday morning.
He said the assailants surrounded the market and started firing indiscriminately at the people in the market. Police at the market tried to stop them, but they were unable to do so due to the large number of attackers.
He did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment from a police spokesman. In the past few years, gunmen have killed scores of people in northwestern Nigeria and abducted hundreds for ransom. In order to deal with the security crisis, the government launched a military operation by shutting down the telecommunication system in the area and also increased the activities of the police.
In early September, the government ordered the closure of all telephone and internet services in the entire state of Zamfara. The government then issued similar directives in parts of Katsina, Sokoto and Kaduna as military operations intensified.
Last week, the head of Nigeria’s military said the decision to shut down telecommunications would be upheld as it would help the armed forces in cracking down on bandits. But it has made it difficult to know what is happening in the region and is disrupting daily life and business, according to a Reuters report.
Governor Tambuwal called for more security forces and equipment to be deployed in Sokoto.