October 25, 2021, 11:44 am
International Desk /
At least nine people have been killed in flash floods and landslides caused by tropical cyclone Compasso in the Philippines.
Eleven more people were missing after Tuesday’s incident, Reuters news agency quoted the country’s disaster agency as saying.
On Monday evening local time, Compassu came to land from the sea with a maximum wind speed of 100 kilometers (62 miles) per hour. The remnants of another cyclone merged with the compass before reaching the ground. Earlier, about 1,600 people evacuated from the cyclone were evacuated.
The country’s disaster agency said a report sent by its regional units said four people had been killed in landslides in the northern province of Benguela and five in the southwestern island province of Palwan. The agency said they were verifying the reports.
A search and rescue operation is underway to find 11 missing persons. Most of them have disappeared after the landslides.
The Philippines, which is made up of more than 7,600 islands, is hit by about 20 storms or typhoons a year, resulting in many landslides during heavy rains.
President Rodrigo Duterte is overseeing the government’s overall disaster response efforts, his spokesman Harry Roque said on Tuesday.
Roke said rescue workers were on the scene, as well as work to restore electricity and water supply and clear the road.