June 18, 2024, 10:16 pm
Notice :
Wellcome to our website...

There was a terrible fire in the shops of 40 small traders in Srimangal

Reporter Name 138 Time View
Update : Saturday, December 31, 2022


A fire broke out in a cloth shop adjacent to M Saifur Rahman Market in Srimangal Town area of Moulvibazar, 36 small cloth shops and 6 cloth vans were burnt and the dreams of 42 small cloth traders were burnt to ashes.

On Friday (December 30) at 4 o’clock in the morning, this terrible fire happened. After receiving information, 3 units of fire service went and brought the fire under control. A nearby petrol pump and a private clinic were saved from the fire. Meanwhile, a mini truck was damaged by fire.

According to traders and night watchmen of the area, the fire started from the petrol pump area of Post Office Road in the market around 4 am on Saturday morning. Instantly the fire spread all around. At that time, a new mini truck standing at the petrol pump next to the market caught fire. Due to the heat of the fire, the windows of the neighboring multi-storied buildings were broken. The patients and relatives of the patients who were staying in a nearby private clinic were panicked.
The affected traders claim that they have lost more than one and a half crore rupees in the fire. Each shop had at least 5 lakhs worth of clothes. Monirul Islam, the affected small businessman, said that his shop had goods worth more than Tk 15 lakh. All goods were burnt to ashes. Like him, 35 more shops and goods were completely burnt and the dreams of traders were burnt to ashes. He said that all the affected businessmen took loans from various organizations and bought winter clothes for sale. Now they have lost everything and are completely helpless. These traders have lost everything and are sitting on the road. Also, 4 other small traders in the van were also injured.
Haji Md. Kamal Hossain, General Secretary of Srimangal Traders Association, said that he came to the spot immediately after receiving the news of the fire, and worked to extinguish the fire and evacuate the people staying in the clinic. He claimed that the fire started from an electrical short circuit. However, quoting eyewitnesses, some traders of the burned shop said that two unidentified people were seen shouting fire fire during the incident. Later some other unidentified people were seen trying to douse the fire. Terming it mysterious, the aggrieved traders demanded a fair investigation into the incident.

It is known that the municipality has a dispute with the owner of the adjacent petrol pump over the ownership of the market land. The issue of ownership is pending in court. At present the land is in the possession of the municipal authorities. Although earlier the land was in the possession of the petrol pump owner.

When asked about the fire, Srimangal Fire Service Office in-charge Md. Abu Taher said that the exact cause of the fire and the amount of damage cannot be said at the moment. We will investigate and let you know later.

Meanwhile, local member of parliament, deputy principal, received news of the fire. Abdur Shaheed visited the spot and spoke to the affected traders. At this time, he assured to cooperate with the businessmen on behalf of the government.
Also Srimangal Municipality Mayor Md. Mohsin Mia and Upazila Parishad Chairman Bhanulal Roy, Upazila Executive Officer Ali Rajib Mahmud Mithun, Srimangal Thana Officer-in-Charge Md. Jahangir Hossain Sardar visited the incident site.

আপনার মতামত লিখুন :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News Of This Category